Bill Gallen grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan and would wander off into the woods and fields of his native Wisconsin. This gave him an early appreciation for the wonders of the natural world. Bill Gallen graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in history and German. He spent a year studying in Freiburg, Germany. Plans to pursue an academic teaching career gave way when he moved to Colorado and began a painting contracting business with his brother. Nurturing a lifelong interest in art, Bill Gallen studied painting and drawing in his free time with local instructors as well as at workshops in Taos, New Mexico, and the Scottsdale Artists School. He counts Michael Lynch, David Ballew and Matt Smith among his most influential teachers. After nearly fifteen years as a contractor, Bill Gallen traded in his house painting brushes for an easel painter's tool.
Bill Gallen, Kaibab WInter Afternoon, Oil on Mounted Linen, 11" x 14"
Bill Gallen currently resides in New Mexico where he enjoys painting landscapes, particularly location pieces. The eye for beauty and harmony in nature, which he developed as a child in the Midwest, informs his work with freshness and sensitivity. Bill Gallen's paintings are included in collections nationwide.
Bill Gallen, Evening Light on the Sangre de Cristos, Oil on Linen, 24" x 48"
1980 - University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI BA
1990-1992 - Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, WI
1990-1992 - Milwaukee Art Museum, WI
1992-95 - Scottsdale Artist School, AZ
1996-98 - Fechin Institute, Taos, NM
Signature Member, Plein Air New Mexico
2007-8 - Santa Fe Fall Small Works Show and Sale by Gallery Artists, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, NM
2007 - Arizona: A Millennium of Arizona Art, Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery, Tucson, AZ
2006 - "Icons in Nature" Minneapolis, MN
2006 - "Fall Gala" Taos Art Museum, NM
2004 - Haley Museum Art Show, Midland, TX
2002-2004 - Albuquerque Art Museum Miniature Show, NM
2004 - "Artist of the Grand Canyon" Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery
2004 - "Inside/Out" Quinlan Art Center, Gainsville, GA
1998, 2004 - Members Art Show Frankfort Art Museum, Frankfort, IN
2002, 2003 - Salon International International Museum of Contemporary Masters of Fine Art, San Antonio, TX
2002 - "Winter In Tucson" Annual Group Show, Tucson, AZ
1998 - Scottsdale Desert Festival of Fine Art, Scottsdale, AZ
1996 - St. John's University, St. Cloud, MN
1995 - Oil Painters of America, Midwest Regional Exhibition, Chicago, IL
- 2012- Best in Sho, PANM Member's Show, Taos, NM
- 2012- - Award of Merit, Encantada, RGAA, Albuquerque, NM
- 2005 - Signature Member, Plein Air New Mexico
- 2003 - Jury's Award "Sonoran Desert Canyon" Salon International
- 2002 - Third Place "The Serenity of High Places" Salon International
- 2002 - Judge's Recognition Award of Artistic Excellence and Jury's Award "Cascade" Salon International
- 1996 - Best of Show John Michael Kohler Fine Art Fair, Kohler Museum, Sheboygan, WI
- Wisconsin Gas Corp.
- Universal Foods
- Carmex Corp.
- Dr. Jeanne Lewandowski, Detroit, MI
- Ms. Kathleen Higgins, Chicago, IL
- Mr. Stephen Schulz, Minneapolis, MN
- Mr. Kim Kanzelberger, Kansas City, MO
- Ms. Elke Mihench, Boston, MA
- Kim and Steve Mesten, Edmond, OK
- Gary Hall, Denver, CO
- Southwest Art magazine, August 2010
- Art Journey New Mexico, F + W Media, Inc. ISBN 978-1-60061-993-9, copyright 2009
- Plein Air New Mexico, Jack Richeson Fine Art Series, 2006
- Landscapes of New Mexico, University of New Mexico Press, ISBN 0-9762523-6-8
- Telluride Weekly Planet, January 2000
- The Telluride Watch, January 2000
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, February 1997
Return to Bill Gallen's Paintings
Bill Gallen, The Coming Evening, Oil on Mounted Linen, 11" x 14"